Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Photo Montage

Title says all.
My song choice was "All Along the watchtower" originally written by Bob Dylan, but I chose the performance of Jimi Hendrix.


"There must be some kind of way out of here"
said the joker to the thief
"There's too much confusion",
I can't get no relief
Businessmen, they drink my wine,
plowmen dig my earth
None will level on the line
nobody of it is worth.

"No reason to get excited",
the thief he kindly spoke
"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke
But you and I, we've been through that,
and this is not our fate
So let us not talk falsely now,
the hour is getting late".

All along the watchtower,
princes kept the view
While all the women came and went,
barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.



I thought the song was talking about distinctions in class in today's society and the overall ridiculousness of bothering to be upset about it or to protest. I chose this dandy gentleman with the top hat to symbolize the higher class. he can also be seen as "capitalism". The two figures fighting each other on the table are the middle-class. I thought the fact that both heads were covered was great! It showed how oblivious they are to what really matters since they're too busy fighting and trying to survive without giving a second thought to whats really important. The monkey holding the baby is what I would call the "Real", or to put it in simply the "lowest of the low" in the pyramid.  The infant symbolizes human life and the idea that we are all the same, and what we have created here on earth is so insignificant in the grand scheme of things. The monkey symbolized nature and a mind untainted.
  
I deliberately made the monkey and infant much lighter than the dandy man. The dandy man was made darker.  Although the images do not fit together perfectly like a scene from a film, I thought the message behind it would back it up. I loved the contrast in postures. The man seems relaxed, carefree, yet serious. The infant-carrying monkey seemed to glow with humility or meekness. The two men on the table are in such a position where they shun everything and fight for themselves. I saturated everything because I thought colour would be too much of a distraction. I wish I could have made all the images fit together better. My first photo montage, what are you going to do?